No plan to extend the Lockdown, Says India’s top bureaucrat
New Delhi : Rejecting media reports, The government of India on Monday made it clear that there is no plan to extend the lockdown.
“ There are rumours & media reports, claiming that the Government will extend the Lockdown when it expires. The Cabinet Secretary has denied these reports, and stated that they are baseless” said a government statement.
“ I am surprised to see such reports, there is no such plan of extending the lockdown,” said Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba.
With a view to break the chain of transmission of COVID19, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 24 had announced 21-day lockdown across India which will end on 14th of April.
The government has kept essential services, food and medicine, army and security establishments, media outlet and government departments out of the lockdown.
However, several media reports have claimed that the government may extend the lockdown beyond April 14.
An online news portal had reported that the government may extent the lockdown period by a week in view of the exodus of migrant labourers.
India’s total number of COVID19 cases has already surpassed 1100 mark by Monday Morning according to data released by ‘covid19india.org’. While 28 people have died due to the virus, 102 people have recovered so far.
However, according to the data released by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, India’s total COVID19 cases has increased to 1071 including 49 foreign nationals. The number of deaths has also soared to 29 by Monday Morning. However, the good news is that the number of persons who have recovered has touched 100.