Irrfan Khan, one of the most versatile actors in Hindi Cinema, passed away in Mumbai today at the age of 54. He was admitted to Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital due to a colon infection. The actor was ailing ever since he was diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour in 2018, and had been under medical attention for the same. His last movie ‘English Medium’ was released recently on an OTT platform.
Some interesting facts about Irfan Khan
- Irfan Khan is the first Bollywood actor to star in two Oscar wining movies-The Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and Life of Pie (2012).
- He was signed for the lead role in Mira Nair’s Hollywood movie ‘The Reluctant Fundamentalist’. He later opted out from the movie as he did not want to play a terrorist.
- As a child, he had gone to see the shooting of ‘Ganga ki Sougandh’ and ‘Jal Mahal’. Both films were shot in his home town Jaipur.
- He was signed for an important role in Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Black Friday’, but later he opted out.
- He was offered Matt Damon’s role in the Christopher Nolan directed movie “Interstellar’, but he turned it down due to scheduling issues.
- When he first arrived in Mumbai, he worked as an Air-Conditioner mechanic. He even visited Superstar Rajesh Khanna’s house for AC repairing.
- He also worked in several classic TV serials like Bharat Ek Khoj, Chanakya and fantasy serial like Chandrakanta. He also anchored Docu-drama series “Mano ya Na mano’.
- He was starred in Mahesh Bhatt’s shelved project based on Abdul Karim Telgi.
- He was signed for Anil Kapoor starrer ‘Tezab –Acid of Love’, but later opted-out.
- His portrayal of Paan Singh Tomar in the acclaimed biographical sports drama Paan Singh Tomar (2011) won him the National Film Award for Best Actor.